zaterdag 21 mei 2011

Pole dance classes for children of 12

The article is called ‘Pole dance classes for children of 12’ and is written by Laurie Hanna from the Daily Mirror.
Pole dancer at Secrets Nightclub (Pic:Rex)
Pole dancer at Secrets Nightclub (Pic:Rex)
The article explains how a pole dance teacher offers pole dance classes for girls as young as 12. The lessons are being promoted as a “gymnastic art” with organizers claiming young girls will end up fitter, stronger and more self confident. The founder of the company said: “Many people don’t understand the difference between fitness pole dancing and exotic dancing.“There is a big difference and it is unfortunate that those criticizing my decision to run kids’ classes haven’t educated themselves as to the difference. To understand fitness pole dancing you have to see the pole as a climbing frame which basically means it is a gymnastic apparatus. But the pole dancing venture for 12 to 15-year-olds was immediately condemned. Here are some reactions: “It’s diabolical. It’s sick.“At that age, they should be playing rounders or netball. I work in a school and I see plenty of kids growing up too fast. It’s more important than ever to protect their innocence. Another person says: It’s just wrong. I was into dance at a young age – hip hop, disco, freestyle. There is plenty for kids to do to keep fit and have fun. Another reaction was: ‘No matter what you argue, the girls will be recreating the moves they’ve learnt as soon as they go out. We do not want 12-year-olds parading as if in some kind of strip club. We are concerned children are being targeted with an activity that’s part of a male club culture which objectifies women.’
When I first read the title I was shocked! This is absolutely ridiculous! A child of 12 years should not be introduced to pole dancing! And although the pole dance teacher has a point that the dancing itself does make a person very fit and strong, I still strongly believe it has no place in a child’s life. You can call it an gymnastic apparatus, but everybody associates pole dancing as exotic dancing as part of a male club culture which objectifies woman.  I have to agree that kids these days are growing up too fast, it is now more important than ever to protect their innocence and teach them to respect themselves and not put their body and sexual moves on display! There are plenty of ways to get children fit and strong. Pole dance lessons for young girls is just crossing the line, we don’t want to teach our children to copy strippers. I can’t imagine parents would allow their daughter to follow  pole dance lessons, it doesn’t seem like a very healthy activity for your child, but I guess you never know. A lot of parents surprise me in how they raise their children. And it seems that nowadays things can’t get enough crazy. Just ‘explain’ how this is different and good for children because it’s fitness. Well, hopefully people won’t fall for that one. What kind of message will you send your child if allow her to parade around as a stripper? No, this one is just wrong!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten